Friday, October 3, 2008

Laundry

The building we live in, "The Piccadilly," has no in-unit washer/dryer. There is a laundry room on the second floor, and each wash and dry costs $1. Not outrageous, yes, but still annoying when you are doing 3 - 5 loads per week, which would be $6 - $10 to wash and dry each load. So, I opt to let my clothes air dry. I have to get pretty creative in finding places to hang the clothes up to dry (the shower rods are only so long). Our lovely bed is wrought iron, and the headboard and footboard (can I really call them "boards" if they are wrought iron?) work great for hanging clothes over. The only thing is, I am no longer in good old dry Utah.

Here in this humid climate (not super humid, but everything is humid compared to Utah), these clothes take like 27 hours to dry. Seriously. In Utah it was probably 4 hours, maybe 6 hours for something heavy like jeans. Alas, that is another thing I miss about Utah. But, I am saving $5 per week, so for now that's what I'll do. Except the towels. The crustiness of air-dried towels is a bit too bothersome for me :).

Anyway, here's another shot of my beautiful daughter.

3 comments:

  1. LOL! I can totally relate to the humidity! It was so weird when we moved out here and things really take about 10 times longer to dry than when we were living in UT or NM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you ae getting adjusted to your new place! I read about your humidity problem- I totally know how you feel! We do not have any type of AC in our apartment and the people upstairs have a swamp cooler. All of their humidity sank into our apartment and it was so gross! Our carpets were always wet and everything was sticky. I wanted to save money as well by air drying our clothes. I went to home depot and bought a De-humidifier (about $130) and it was alife saver! a load of laundry would be dry overnight. Maybe onve you turn on the heat it will make the air drier as well? Anywho, just a suggestion- look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha Elise! I didn't know there were others out there as cheap as me! You are too funny!! And Violet is SOOOOOOO cute! Love that pic!

    ReplyDelete