Sunday, February 28, 2010

My Girl

When Dan comes home from school and we talk about our days, I usually share a couple of "Violet anecdotes" with him. Violet has become more and more of a conversationalist, so naturally she feels like she should be included in all these conversations. She listens very carefully to what we're saying, and if we're talking about her she says, "I'M RIGHT HERE!" I guess I'd get perturbed too if people were talking about me right in front of my face :).

She still tries to trick us with her naps sometimes. She'll come out of her room after ten minutes and say "Good morning!" When we tell her she isn't done with her nap she tearfully says "But I woke up!" (this usually doesn't end well...but we think we're breaking the habit).

Her favorite games to play with us are Hungry, Hungry Hippos, Jenga, and Sorry (those actually work very well for 2-year-old kids). She also likes to "play" card games. Those don't work quite as well (it usually turns into a "what number is this?" quiz). And most of our decks are now missing multiple cards.  The rest are crumpled and sticky. And they are all mixed together. But any of you are welcome to come play cards with us :).

Yesterday I had some jeans hanging over the shower curtain rod to dry. They are largo maternity jeans which I hate. Violet comes in and says "Those Daddy's pants?"

"No, they're mine," I reply. "But Daddy could fit in them. They're BIG pants."

"GIANT pants?" she asks. "MONSTER pants?"

This conversation wasn't at all flattering, but I had to admit to her that they were big pants. Big enough for some giants and some monsters. Now she refers to any large-looking pants as "giant pants" or "monster pants." Just watch out you don't leave your pants around or she might similarly flatter you.

We're still progressing slowly but surely on the potty training. She's doing better at wearing panties and keeping them dry (although I am afraid to take her out in public without diapers), but sometimes she forgets. The other day she was wearing panties and had promised to keep them dry. All of a sudden she starts saying "I forgot I forgot I forgot!" in a frantic little voice. I was worried she had wet them but luckily it wasn't too late for her to take off her panties and race to the potty :). We're hoping to get her out of diapers completely by the time the baby comes. (One child in diapers is plenty!)

She loves to write her name and can do it pretty much by herself now (she still struggles with the "e"). I need to take a picture of it because the letters are so ridiculously out of proportion to each other (the "o" pretty much encompasses all the other letters!) and not always in a line :).

The other day she had her head on my tummy and said "I heard a noise! It was my baby brother!" We're so glad she's excited about a new baby. If you ask her about what's in my tummy, she'll tell you "It's my baby brother. He'll come out a little later." Then she'll ramble on about how he's eating all my food and he's going to eat her food too. And Daddy's.

Anyway, I just wanted to record some fun things about Violet before the baby is born. We sure love our girl!

5 comments:

  1. So cute! I can't believe she's only two! She's so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing what children are thinking about. It's awesome she can articulate her thoughts so well! Sounds like she has a great tutor. :) I love your stroller, and you are the cutest pregnant lady I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha She is so precious!!! Already writing her name??? Gee whiz-- I guess I better quit chillaxin' all the time and put the heat on Jace. What a big girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TOO CUTE!!! Loved this post. Jealous of the potty training. You think ONE kid in diapers is enough? I've been doing two for 15 months now. And if I don't get on the ball, before I know it, there'll be FOUR of them! AAAAaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!
    I'm too lazy and tired to potty train. Hopefully one of these days we'll get around to it.
    I can't believe Violet can write her name. We should start teaching Dallin stuff.

    ReplyDelete