Tonight we went and had dinner at our friends' apartment down the block. While walking there, I realized I had forgotten the juice and so I ran back to get it while Dan went on ahead.
Most entrances into apartment buildings are locked here in Chicago, so you have to ring someone's apartment and they come down and let you in. I called Dan to come down and let me in, and while I was talking to him on the phone a couple people came up the steps to go inside. "Never mind," I told him. "Someone's coming in now." Normally people are polite and hold the door open for you if you're a pregnant woman shivering in the 15 degree weather.
Not so with this fellow. I tried to follow behind him inside, and he literally smashed my arm in the door!
"Wait, I'm coming in!" I said.
His reply: "Can you just wait for your friend to let you in?"
I was incredulous. "Are you serious?!" I asked him. (My arm was still being smashed.)
"Yeah. I don't want you to break into my apartment," he said.
So he forced the door shut on me. Did I mention that I'm 8 months pregnant and rather small of stature? (He was probably 6 feet tall, giving him a good eight inches over me.) And he feels threatened by me? And did I mention that it is 15 degrees outside? Plus it is getting dark and I'm waiting there ALONE. If anyone should have felt a twinge of fear in that situation it should've been me.
I don't think I've ever been treated more rudely by a stranger in my entire life. Thank you, Chicago.
Oh my heck, RUDE!!! You should have unleashed the legendary pregnant woman fury on him, knocked him out, stole all his money, and GIVEN him a reason to treat tiny little pregnant girls like that.
ReplyDeletethat's like unbelievable. How's your arm from him smashing it in the door? Poor guy must have had something seriously tragic happen to him to have lost all trust in people.
ReplyDeleteI want to see some more of your pictures! And some more pictures of your cute pregnant self :)
This post made me so mad, I had to leave and come back. Some people are truly not decent human beings. That guy needs to rip up his "man card". I don't care who you are or where you are, you simply don't treat a woman like that, let alone our sweet little pregnant Elise. This last Christmas Eve I took all the kids to Walmart with me, I had a man tear into me for being on my cell-phone while I was at the checkout. I started crying...oh how I wished I had the courage at the time to tell him off properly.
ReplyDeletebutthead. Does he live in my building? I'll steal his laundry or something. It's amazing how simple it would have been for him to just let you in. Compared to how difficult it could be for somebody to come down and get you. Yup. You can never be too careful.
ReplyDelete