Monday, January 16, 2012

The Name Game

As the pregnancy progresses, the pressure to find the perfect name increases.

Here are my rules for girl's names:
1. Definitely feminine. I can't stand boy names on girls. Maybe it is the feminist in me coming out, but I do not understand why people saddle their girls with masculine names--as if that is the only way to make them confident, strong women. So no Taylors, Camerons, Ryans, etc.
2. Uncommon. Especially as I now have a common last name, I want the first name to be uncommon. (Yep, you can point out that "Luke" isn't that rare. It was an exception to my rule. Although it wasn't actually that common a few years ago.) So, while I really love the names Chloe (#9 in the nation, #7 in UT), and Lily (#17 in the nation, #5 in UT), I'm afraid they don't make the cut of being uncommon. I'm trying to decide if Eliza is uncommon enough. It is currently #32 in UT. (Not that we're for sure going back to live in Utah, but I think the Utah ranking is a good indication of whether a name is popular among LDS.)
3. Classic. Maybe this is another way of saying "old-fashioned," but for me it just means that it can't be completely attached to any particular decade. For example, the name "Brenda" is so stuck to the 1950s it just doesn't work for me.
4. No weird spellings for no reason. I'm just not big on spelling "Amy" like "Aymhiee." Why contribute to the confusion?

I really appreciate that my parents gave me a name that fits all of my criteria :). My name is definitely feminine, there was only one other Elise in my whole high school, it has been consistently on the charts since the 1880s but never common, and they chose the classic spelling instead of trying to modernize it. Plus the French flavor is nice, too :). So thanks, Mom and Dad.

And so my search for the perfect name for baby #3 continues...anyone have any suggestions for me? I won't make fun of them...I promise! (At least not to your face) (You can make fun of mine behind my back, too. I won't ever know!)


15 comments:

  1. We're having a hard time finding a name for our baby too- Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm totally on the same page when it comes to names. here are some of my favorites if and when we have another girl: adelaide, eloise, elsie and betsy. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I love this game! How about Charlotte, Penelope, Julia, Abigail, Fiona, Bridgette, Beatrice, Genevieve, Louisa, Katherine, Margaret, Olive, or Terese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband's cousin just named her baby girl Lila. I LOVE that name and am a little ticked that they thought of it before I did. I second Genevieve & Charlotte. I also love Ilsa (yes, I stole it from Julie Hammond.) :) Happy name hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your list of rules! I also thought of Eloise, but it may be too similar to Elise. I think Eleanor would go well with your other kids' names. Some other ideas: Gwen, Lauren, Alice. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still like Ivy and Aria. Esp Aria. I think it's so pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with that. I am taking notes on all these names! Don't let me know what you are going to name her. Because my baby is going to be born first and I just may steal the name!! Naming kids is the hardet thing in the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, the name game. We have similar rules, except that I add one - not to officially decide until you lay eyes on them. Some I am liking these days are Evelyn (traditionally a man's name but it has been converted so no feminist line crossing here), Nina, Norah, Penelope, Isla, Adele, Clementine, and Audrey. Can't wait to hear what you actually will call her! And since we're practically neighbors (state-wise), if you guys every have a hankering to visit Colonial Williamsburg, let us know! We'd love to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Roberta meets all of your criteria and has a nice ring

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice alliteration in your first sentence. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought of another name I think is cute: Annie. I also like Audrey, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the list. Those are basically the same rules we followed when we named our two little ones. I especially love nos. 3 and 4!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vivienne---oh how I love that name. But, since I will probably never be blessed with girlies, I mind as well suggest it to you guys. Plus, maybe one day my guys would be lucky enough to end up with one of your gals. Good luck!

    ps--wouldn't it be awesome to have a Viv and a Vi? Love love love.

    ReplyDelete