Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peek-a-boo.
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For Children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust, go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep.
-Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

I felt like that yesterday! Joseph was asleep on my chest as I was lying on the couch. I thought of all the zillion things that needed to get done and my mom's voice popped in my head to tell me they're only babies for just a little while and enjoy it while it lasts. I stayed on the couch for a little while more. :)
ReplyDeleteOh my heck! I love the new picture of Violet and Luke so freaking much!! So adorable!! And the picture of you and Luke? I love it! Your bangs are way cute also.....have you cut them again since you first got them? Mine seem to only be the right length for like a month and then they are too long to be front bangs....but I guess that's a good thing so they don't get so old.
ReplyDeleteWhat absolutely adorable kids! I love pictures of siblings loving each other! Great poem. I feel like that all the time. I could clean the house, or play with the kids. My house isn't clean. Before we know it they'll be in school with crazy schedules and we'll have plenty of time to clean then! With their help of course!
ReplyDeleteThat is the sweetest post ever. I love that picture, and that poem. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeletep.s. you look so hot with bangs
Love this. Thanks for posting it!
ReplyDelete