Friday, June 26, 2009

Did You Hear the News?

Yesterday when Dan was coming home from school, he was stopped by an older black lady on the street. "Is it true?" she asked. "Is Michael Jackson really dead?" Her voice was breaking. "My daughter just called me and told me he died, and I just can't believe it!" Dan hadn't heard. "I've actually been out of the loop for a while, so I haven't heard anything about it," he said. (Poor Dan had just finished a writing competition for Law Review. He'd had like 4 hours of sleep in the past two days.) Later when I was at the grocery store, the cashier asked me, "Did you hear the news? It's so sad I don't want to be the one to tell you. It's Michael Jackson. He died." I hadn't heard either. "His funeral is going to be bigger than Obama's inauguration!" She said. Dan and I were both a bit surprised how both these people were so sad about it. Since then we've heard many people on the street bemoaning the death. We thought Jackson had fallen out of favor in the past few years. I figure that most of his good music was done before he was fifteen years old, so the music industry didn't suffer a huge loss. But yeah, apparently death makes everyone forget your flaws. I guess that's a good thing. RIP, M.J.

6 comments:

  1. Just to clarify -- Jackson didn't "opt" to turn himself white. He has an awful skin disorder that eats away at him -- thus the multiple surgeries to his face. Faux pas, Lise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops. How embarrassing. I feel bad now. Should I just delete this post?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I'm heartless, but when Jared told me he was dead, my first thought was "It's about time."

    But just so everyone knows, I'll love that guys music till the day I die.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Michael Jackson is one of the greatest modern artists. Sure his personal life is a little weird, but his vocals are out of this world awesome and the man could dance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Dan: I agree-the man could dance. I never liked his vocals though because I thought they were too high and sounded like a woman (and they did compared to what I listened to growing up: men like Chris Ledoux and Garth Brooks).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dont feel a big loss over MJ either...but I was wondering about your post of sick little Violet, if you have ever read the books about vaccinations and autism by Jenny McCarthy? You should, they really make you think about what we are doing to out kids. They are called "Louder Than Words" and "Mother Warriors"

    ReplyDelete