Friday, August 8, 2008

Recovering

We came home from the hospital today, and I am so happy to be home. It is amazing how much better you feel once you have that horrid hospital gown off and you're dressed in normal clothes.

The surgery went okay, but unfortunately, the cyst was even bigger than they thought. It was as big as a football--oblong, not round like a cantaloupe. My right ovary was pretty damaged already so they had to take that out with it. Plus, they had to cut me open wider than they originally did (I imagine it went something like, "I can't get this darn thing out...hand me the knife again"), so instead of a four-inch wide gash I have a six- or seven-inch wide gash. I haven't measured exactly. Seriously though, it was rough getting it out. The doctor said that even after they widened the cut they used every inch of the opening and had to really maneuver things to get it out.

Waking up from general anesthesia is NOT an experience I want to repeat. Besides the immense pain in my abdomen and my back (shoot me up with some morphine NOW!), I was ridiculously cold. My teeth were chattering uncontrollably and my mouth was as dry as the Sahara. I couldn't remember anything past the anesthesiologist saying "Let me give you something to relax you...." He could have at least been honest with me about the medication (something more direct, like, "You will now go unconscious in 5...4....3....2...1..." would have sufficed), but oh well. Doctors seem to like to be indirect and vague.

Recovering from this seems slightly more painful than recovering from giving birth, but that could just be my memories of childbirth recovery fading into the blissful realization of a newborn. Anyway, I'm just letting you all know that we are home from the hospital, happy, and recovering...slowly but surely. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

P.S. I have never been more grateful for pain pills.

3 comments:

  1. Yikes. I'm so sorry and I hope that you start feeling better soon. I keep feeling my stomach hoping that I don't have a football hiding somewhere in there like you did. Any reason for its growth? I am sure glad that you are alright. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're home. It sounds like quite the experience. I'm sorry you had to go through all that. You're in our prayers. We hope recovery goes well. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help! I can babysit Violet or whatever you need. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That stinks majorly that a huge lump was growing inside of you, but so glad you got it out. I myself have never had surgery, but i can just image. I do hope your recovery continues to go well and that you get your house all packed and stuff for your move. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out- I'm only in AF!

    ReplyDelete