Monday, September 22, 2014

Destruction Today

I'm going to take a break from catch-up posts and write about today.

All my married life, I have bought used dining tables/chairs off of craig's list whenever we moved in, and resold them whenever we moved out. They were always used and scuffed and old. Until last week. I was so excited to finally be the owner a lovely, white, NEW dining table. It was this one:

And it extends to fit more people. 8 if we squeeze.

I even bought a tablecloth to protect the loveliness. This morning while I was washing the tablecloth, Luke decided to try carving the top of my lovely new table. He took the razor out of my paper trimmer and used it directly on the table. There are probably 6 or 7 deep brown scratches on the top of it now.

So today was a sad sad day for me :(. I never knew I would be so heartbroken over a table, but gosh darn it! I took joy in that table, and now it is forever scratched up. I know this won't matter and I will surely laugh about it in ten years, but it is so frustrating right now to have kids destroy things! And speaking of destroying things--also today Ivy knocked off my porcelain blue and yellow cow salt and pepper shakers that I got from my dad probably fifteen years ago, and now they are in pieces. I'm sad about that too.

Feel free to commiserate by sharing any stories of your own destructive children :).

1 comment:

  1. We bought a new table a few months ago and it has knife marks on the edges and dings all over it. There was a tablecloth on it but I could never get it to stay on for more than a day without them ripping it off. And it wasn't a cheap table either. Sigh. A few weeks ago my son also carved his brothers name in big letters into the top my cedar chest I got when I was 16. And mt poor piano that was my grandmothers. I've just come to the realization that with having all boys, I will never have anything nice. And to buy good quality so that even if it gets dinged up, it can still withstand a good beating. I haven't even unpacked my nice breakable stuff yet and we moved 10 months ago. I was sad about my table too ;)

    ReplyDelete