Wednesday, September 12, 2012

3,343 miles later...

Once upon a time Dan started his new job in Raleigh, on August 20th. The Friday before I had unfortunately given him the worst haircut of our married life (it happened to be on our 6th anniversary). It went like this:

Me (using the clippers on Dan's lovely brown hair): "These clippers are not cutting well at all! Maybe they're dull?"
Dan: "Let me oil them--that should help." (Proceeds to take off the 5/8" blade attachment and oil the clippers.)
(Dan hands the clippers back to me without the 5/8" blade attachment.)
Me (after sliding the naked clippers up the back of Dan's head behind his ear): "AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"

...

I stayed in Utah so I could drive myself and the kids to San Diego for Jake's wedding. (Jake is Dan's next younger brother.) Luckily, Matt (another of Dan's bros) came with me to help with the adult-to-child ratio. We drove those 11 hours on Thursday, August 30th.

Dan flew from Raleigh to San Diego the next day (31st) so he could be there for the wedding too. We had enough time to go to the beach first, and then the wedding. Of course, someone forgot her recommend. This time it was me. Thankfully I was able to get in touch with my bishop and make it in. It was a lovely wedding and, SURPRISE! I was the photographer afterward. Too bad I didn't know that beforehand and could have brought something besides the kit lens.

The next day, after going to the San Diego Zoo, we started our journey driving our mini-van and three kids coast to (nearly) coast.

We stopped in Tucson the first night and stayed at a gross motel. Never again, Ramada. Never again.

The second night we stayed with our super-cool friends, Ryan and Sydne. They live in Dallas. They were the best hosts ever and stocked us up with snacks. We had to stop twice at U.S. Border Patrol stations that day in Texas. Talk about a waste of tax money. This is how it goes: "Are you a U.S. citizen?" and, "Is there anyone in your vehicle who is not a U.S. citizen?" (I mean, how effective can that even be?)

The third night we stayed in Nashville, Tennessee at a Holiday Inn. It was a great improvement from Ramada, and it ended up being the same price (we booked through priceline.com). Nashville looked like a fun city and I was sad we didn't have time to explore it. Some other time, I hope!

The fourth night we arrived at our new home in Cary, North Carolina!

Our door knocker was already engraved with "Roberts" before we even rented this house! We took it as a sign. Best coincidence ever!


And now we're in that awkward process of living with boxes as we slowly find places for everything. We are happy to say that after six years of marriage and three children we are renting an actual house with three bedrooms :).  And we hope we get visitors soon!

7 comments:

  1. You guys are so adventurous. I've decided I'm too wimpy to fly with kids anymore. And that's fly. I can't imagine driving.

    Congratulations on your new place. That's very fun. I hope it's something exciting that's taken you to NC. I'm dying to find some home to rent that has some yard space for Cali and a washer and dryer for me. One day...

    (We may still be in the same apartment but your table is holding up beautifully. Thanks again!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I laughed pretty hard at the whole hair-cutting fiasco. That is so funny and unfortunate!
    2. You're awesome for handling the road trips! I never enjoy those with kids very much :)
    3. Your door seriously had your name on it? That is amazing! I am so glad you have your own real house now and can't wait to see pictures. If only we were closer I'd come visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you guys had come a little more south you could have stopped in Pensacola for the night and stayed with us! And I have to say, an actual house with three bedrooms can make all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such fun times for your family. Change is fun. How long will you be in NC? I like the name of your town. :) I think that NC would be a dreamy place to live. (But I am a little partial to the East since I was born and raised just like 3 hours north of Raleigh.) How do you like it? Too funny about the hair cut, and so cool about the door knocker!
    P.S. I agree with your Ramada opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you get to be in a house this time round! How are you liking NC? I think I would love living there. We went there while we were in Virginia. Is this a job job meaning you're there as long as you don't quit and choose to take another job? Or is it for a certain amount of time?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, WE don't even have a door-knocker with our name on it. Even though I endured enough on our drive to the Oregon Coast this summer, I'm kind of jealous of your cross-country drive. There's something so American about that. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete