I totally understand you making me get up in the middle of the night to pee. Makes perfect sense that there is less and less room for my bladder. But making me get up in the middle of the night to vomit? Not cool.
I can deal with the stretch marks, the leg cramps, the ligament pain, the indigestion. The nausea is not my favorite. It makes me cry.
Giving me a super-human sense of smell might be considered a blessing; but when those smells trigger more vomiting, it is actually a curse. Most people don't realize that they are walking perfumeries. Well, I can smell every scent. Their clothes are covered in fumes of laundry detergent, fabric softener, dryer sheets. Their bodies reek of deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, moisturizer, nail polish, hair spray, gel, and then some top it all off with cologne or perfume! Smelling those overpowering smells with my super-human nose is not fun. In fact, it makes me actually grateful for a stuffy nose, which I purposely don't blow because I need something to block all the smells.
Speaking of messing with my senses, let's talk about taste. What have you done to the orange Skittles? I used to enjoy those; now they taste like poison! And then there's milk. My family thinks I am the biggest milk snob in the world because I can't drink it more than one day old. True story. It tastes awful unless it is that fresh. And the taste in my mouth. Yuck. Constant rottenness. I've tried sleeping with gum in my mouth, but halfway through the night I swallowed it. And that made me wake up. And extra wakings are not appreciated.
On to the headaches. I am plagued plenty by headaches when I'm NOT pregnant, but you, pregnancy, make it even worse. Is that really necessary?
Emotional craziness. I actually don't mind it so much. It isn't too inconvenient. But when my friend posts a picture like this on facebook from one of her orphanages, I cry and cry and cry. Is this the saddest picture in the world or what?
![]() |
| An orphan sleeping on a drawing of his mother on the floor of his room. |
But, pregnancy, despite all my complaining of you and your trials, I do realize that it is through you that I get to have a tiny, delightful little person for my very own. And a tiny person happens to be the best miracle in the whole world, in my experience. And each time I get to meet my very own new tiny person, I am filled with more love than I ever thought possible. And I know it shows just what an easy life I've had to admit this, but pregnancy is the hardest trial of my entire life. But that means I'm pretty darn lucky. And for that, I am grateful.
Sincerely,
Elise
P.S. Isn't it a little early for the back aches?

Oh, it all sounds so familiar. Too familiar. Especially the smells thing. Months before I think I may get pregnant, I buy non-scented laundry detergent and dryer sheets (which, as you know, are not really unscented...). And I have yet to find unscented bathroom hand soap. I settle for changing the soap every two weeks (Mark just rolls his eyes each time a new one pops up), hoping that less exposure to each smell will help. (And then I cringe each time anyone's hands come anywhere near me.) My poor Mom washed all her already-clean clothes in unscented laundry detergent before she came to visit. (She normally uses Gain--the most evil of all laundry detergents.) Best of luck.
ReplyDeleteElise, I feel so bad you are sick! No one can really imagine how awful morning sickness is until they experience it. I wish I was there so bad so we could have Violet and Luke come play so you could sleep. And that picture you posted broke my heart! Seriously, the saddest thing I have seen in a long time. I want to adopt that little boy and take care of him! I miss you!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry!! Pregnancy sickness is THE worst part of the whole thing. I'd much rather deliver (even natural) than be sick pregnant. Tell me- how do you do it again and again?? I'm so afraid to go through it again (I know I will eventually because I love those babies and 2 is not enough! But I really want them closer together and I need to get up the courage! ha)
ReplyDelete