Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A New Adventure

Here I am, at a Durham, North Carolina library. Dan started his L.L.M. program at Duke University just two days ago.

We made the 36-hour drive from Utah to North Carolina over 3 1/2 days, arriving at 7:15 am on Wednesday, August 17th, 2011. Our fifth anniversary. We had driven all through the night (besides stopping for three hours to try and sleep in West Virginia) and were dead tired. Dan had orientation starting at 11 am. I'm not sure how he stayed awake!

I stayed home in an empty apartment with the kids. We weren't picking up our U-boxes until Saturday, so we had no table, no chairs, no beds. We did have one blanket--Luke's. We slept on the floor that night on top of some clothes. I woke up in the middle of the night with my arms freezing (I always have to sleep with something on me!), so I rummaged in the darkness for a sweatshirt. Couldn't find it, so I put a skirt around my neck. Worked pretty well, actually. But we didn't think that was how we'd be spending the night on our fifth anniversary! Ah well...makes for some memorable moments, right?

We got our U-boxes and luckily had some nice guys from the ward help us unload them. Our apartment is 300 square feet smaller than our last, and while our stuff fits, it feels more crowded. Makes me want to get rid of everything!

We still have no internet. Our providers said they couldn't come until September 1st. That's why I've been neglecting my blog. That, and the 36-hour drive thing. And the unpacking boxes.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know we are alive and well. The kids love having a pool in our apartment complex. It is a great way to spend the afternoon! And now that we have a library card, we are set to go!

Now, it is off to play group! (I'm getting chewed out for letting my kids run rampant through the library...)

8 comments:

  1. oh boy!!! I hope you guys are having fun!!! Anyway.. Josh and I are going to NC in January for a week. He has a conference at UNC. We will HAVE to get together and have some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure you all are having! Definitely making memories. I love the sleeping on clothes and using a skirt for a blanket. Too funny. A pool and tons of books - you are set for hours of entertainment. Glad to hear that you made it safely. And, what, only a few throw-ups? When are y'all going to the beach?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Way to go on starting more school! I've been interested to find out where you guys would go after graduating, we are starting our last year! Good luck and and hope you guys have great adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I didn't know you were doing more school. Pray tell about that decision. As I understand it, an LLM is to specialize in a particular area of law? is that correct? and if so what area is he specializing in? You make me laugh with the skirt, its too funny. Good luck with your new adventure!

    -----OH this is Charity not Jordan!------

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you made it. Now you know why I get rid if everything. Go for it. It will feel so good.

    Hope you settle quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbie--That will be so fun! I can't wait to see you!

    Charity--We decided to do it so Dan could get a job that he really wants. He decided not to go into Patent litigation; instead he wants to do Law & Entrepreneurship, which is what his program is in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember that when we moved to Virginia. Our stuff didn't come for about 2 weeks. We just had what we brought in the car. I didn't have a job, so it was just me in the apartment. But I didn't have any kids I had to worry about either. Happy anniversary! And I hope you've settled in now. Good luck to Dan with his new school!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What? you are in NC? That's practically next door to me!!!

    ReplyDelete