I have gone through five cameras in my life. The first two were pretty crappy film cameras, and the other three were digital. Just the point-and-shoot, auto, basic, whatever. No fancy shmancy cool SLRs. The film cameras are not worth mentioning, but here is the history of my digital camera ownership:
My first digital served me for about three years. I bought it at Wal-Mart in 2004 and it cost me around $190, if I remember correctly. Stinking things were expensive back then. It was a Fuji Film 5 megapixel camera that worked fine (Besides going through batteries like they were free. Seriously, I changed batteries like every two hours!). It traveled the world with me--London, Paris, Frankfurt, Vienna, Budapest, Prague, Talinn, Riga, Vilnius, Quebec, and more. And then one day the power button broke and it wouldn't turn on anymore. This was right in the middle of my friend's wedding. Urgh. I figured it was time for an upgrade anyway, but still.
The next digital camera I got was a Kodak 8 megapixel camera. I bought this soon after Violet was born. I got it on Black Friday at Target for only $89. (There was this four month break where I had nothing but Dan's old mission camera--it was only 3 megapixels. I really need more megapixels because I photoshop like all my photos.) This Kodak camera was my favorite camera. Then there was this one day when I went on a cattle drive. I took along my trusty camera, of course, and secured it in my coat pocket. I was taking pictures from atop my horse along the way. Then there was this one time when I forgot to zip up my coat pocket. Alas and alack, the camera fell out. Out of the pocket, off the horse, onto the ground. And in the midst of a herd of cattle. This was all unbeknownst to me. I realized that my camera was missing probably twenty minutes later, after all the cows had gone up ahead. I rode back and found the camera in the middle of the road, all scuffed up. I tried it, thinking the worst, but voila! It worked like it always had! Or so I thought.... Later, I found out that the charging mechanism or device or thingamajig had been broken by some thoughtless, heedless cow. My camera couldn't be charged up again. Once its battery ran out, it was through. dead. gone. This was after I'd only had it for about 7 months, but I let my integrity win out and convince me that since the warranty didn't cover cameras that were "dropped," it certainly didn't cover cameras that had been trampled by a herd of cows. Urgh. And drat.
My latest camera was purchased from tigerdirect.com. It was $79, and I got it around Violet's first birthday. It was also 8 megapixels, made by GE, and I thought it would be a good replacement for my Kodak. Turns out that GE makes horrid cameras. The flash is like brighter than the noonday sun right in your face. It washes all color out unless you're standing like twelve feet back. So, I covered the flash with a few layers of tape. It helped, a little. Another annoying thing was that this camera's auto focus takes about 5 seconds before it lets you take the picture. Not great for taking pictures of toddlers. Also, unless you use the flash, the pictures are always blurry, no matter how still you are (or maybe I just have the shakes--who knows?). Now this camera has an even more serious problem. I have no idea what happened, but now it can't take ANY clear pictures. Seriously, after you take the picture, the display looks like you took the picture through some blinds. There are horizontal white lines through EVERYTHING. I thought maybe just the display screen had bit the dust, but even uploading them to the computer didn't change much. There still are these white lines through everything. Any clue what's wrong? I'm getting sick of replacing my cameras so often. I have only had this wretched GE camera for about 8 months. I'm going to try and go through the hassle of having GE replace it for me, as it is still under warranty (how does that go, by the way? I've never done warranty stuff before...). But is it even worth it? Is the next one going to be just as crappy? Urgh.
I am dreaming of getting a Canon Rebel 10.1 mgp SLR. It looks so loverly. Too bad I have no money.
So, there you have it. My beleaguered sob story of my life with digital cameras. (By the by, my lack of a working camera partially explains the lack of posts.) How have your cameras treated you?
I hate camera troubles. Spencer and I have had a Canon (one of the cheaper versions, I'm sure) and it has handled many a drop and many a "oops, Cadence give me back the camera!" moments, but it also has the problem of having a delay of about 12 hours, or so it feels with toddlers/babies.
ReplyDeleteAnd more importantly, I was amazed at that list of all those places you visited, and then randomly: a cattle drive? Who ARE you!?!
We love our Canon Powershot. We had our first one for 3 years-it still worked but the lens was broken. (it accidentally got shut in our car console and then was repeatedly smoonched because we didn't know it was there....)We recently purchased a newer model and absolutely love it. Of course, there are a few buggies that will become better once we are familiar with it, but what camera doesn't? I am so sorry you've had issues with cameras, but hopefully you will find one you love!
ReplyDeleteI went through 3 cameras in a matter of a few years because of random things, and too would eventually would like to own a Cannon Rebel, but I've found that the Olympus Stylus (I have the 1030) 10.1 megapixel is great, because it is both shock proof (dropping and kids playing with it), and waterproof (only so far, but won't get hurt in the bathtub or swimming pool! Just be sure to get the floaty strap so it won't sink.) I've never owned a GE camera, so I don't know about that. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry. That stinks! Our previous camera got dropped into a lake and our current camera has been broken for about 2 months. It is so annoying not having a camera. Good luck getting it replaced. I hope it works out well for you!
ReplyDeleteI can attempt to help you. There are a few web sights that do all the testing for you on any camera you can think of.
ReplyDeleteWe'll talk.
We had an Olympus that we liked... it still works but the kids broke the closing mechanism, so the lens is never covered. That is now the kids camera and I got a little Canon elph that I absolutely love.
ReplyDeleteIt's funny that you write about your cameras. Just this morning I was window-shopping for a new camera. I have a great diaper-bag camera..it's a Sony Cyber-shot. But, I drool over the SLR models.
ReplyDeletePhoto.net is a great photography resource. You and I should go in to business together, so we can afford our hobbies. Tell Dan hi & "blopo" and thanks for the comment.