Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Word Verification / Comment Moderation. (These are a few of my least favorite things.)

Dear Fellow Bloggers,

I have been wondering lately, does anyone really have problems with spammed comments on their blog? I rather dislike typing those "security code" words. Those swirly letters totally slow me down. Maybe just a couple seconds, but still. It's still time. And if I type the wrong thing and it deletes my comment, I just give up commenting all together. Too much hassle. Sometimes I don't even comment if I have to type those swirly letters in the box below. They deter me. So, that is why I've never had that requirement on my blog's comment section. And I've never had a problem with "spam comments" (if there is such a thing). Are there really that many auto-comment-machines out there?

So, people, why do you require these security words of me? Many--if not most--of you do. It requires an extra couple seconds of everyone who wants to comment on your post. Some of you even require "blog owner approval" before we can read what we wrote. The first time I came across this I posted the same comment three times before realizing why it wasn't showing up (I should really learn to read the top of my page, shouldn't I?). Do you have commentators that say horrific or embarrassing things and you've got to protect the world from their comments?

In all seriousness, why do you do it?

Inquisitively,
Elise

P.S. Once I got the security code "ISLAM." Crazy, right?

11 comments:

  1. Your tone sounds like you are writing to a magazine or something. I do hate those word verification things though; nigh unto detestation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Thanks for not making me type those annoying words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too, get annoyed with that stuff. And, after reading your post, I have decided to get rid of mine!! I hope you will post comments more often now!
    ps- Violet is just darling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay I didn't used to have this but then I got a crazy comment in another language and started requiring the squiggly words. Here's a link: http://thewilcoxshow.blogspot.com/2007/11/deebo-metrosexual.html

    I still can't figure out how to delete it. I don't know if I might ever have one again but it kinda freaked me out that I didn't know what it said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I had a blog on MySpace, I would frequently get some weird comments. It was just easier to look through them before posting them in case they were gross or obnoxious. We still love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So those of you who had negative experiences--did you take your blog off blogger's listings? Did you select "no" on the "Allow search engines to find your blog"? And you could disable access to your profile, or simply remove your blog from your profile. That way the only people that can access your blog are those who have the direct link. I bet it would solve all your problems.

    Although, I am sure I'd probably be freaked out too if I got crazy comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't even know you could turn that off. Thanks for informing me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, that word verification doo-hicky always drives me crazy, too. Especially with a snail-like internet connection. That's why I opted to not have that on mine. I also entered my comment, well, like 5 times when I was commented on a blog that had to view the comment first. I just didn't get it. I've never had spam comments, but I did opt to not allow search engines to find my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elise, we did have a couple of spam comments on our blog once. It was posted by a name we didn't recognize, and it just had a link to go to their blog. When we checked out their profile, it didn't shed any light on the subject, but when attempting to access their blog, some major red flags went up. So we have enabled the comment moderation since then. I don't think we've had any since then, so maybe one day we will relax our tight security measures and open the doors to quick-commenting. I just now went in and removed our blog from the listings and internet searchability. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm right there with ya! Especially since you can just delete a comment if you don't like it or whatever.

    ReplyDelete