For the past few days I have been wanting to post about the wonderful Stake Conference we enjoyed in Chicago on the 21st. We had the privilege of hearing Elder L. Tom Perry speak to our stake, and he was so personal and uplifting in his talk I just wanted to share some of my notes.
First of all, he talked about how we are approaching General Conference and what a marvelous blessing this is. We get to declare to the world the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ and listen to a living prophet. He also joked how for the next two weeks he was starting his Slim Fast diet to prepare himself! He then went through talking about all the prophets he has known and what he has learned from them, remarking that the words of the prophet are the words of the Savior.
Harold B. Lee--the emphasis of gospel study (that's all I have for him)
Spencer W. Kimball--of course, the "Do it, and do it now." Also, he raised the number of full-time missionaries from 17K to 30K. Elder Perry told a funny story of how he once had a picture taken with President Kimball, but then he never received a copy of the photograph. President Kimball sent him a copy with a note saying, "Tom, I think this is the best picture you've ever had taken of you." Elder Perry took the picture out and saw that his entire head was cut off! I guess President Kimball only barely came to his shoulder or something.
Ezra T. Benson--He taught that The Book of Mormon is the greatest treasure we have, and encouraged all to read from it daily. Elder Perry mentioned that if they spoke in General Conference and didn't cite the Book of Mormon in their talks, they would receive a note from President Benson, saying something like, "Thank you for your talk, but it would have been even better if you had used the Book of Mormon!"
Howard W. Hunter--Elder Perry called him the "organizer of ordinations." President Hunter emphasized temple work and genealogical research.
Gordon B. Hinckley--Built temples all over the world (as we all know!). Every time he traveled, he would ask his drivers to stop by every Stake Center he could fit into his busy schedule, and then he would walk around and see if there was room for a temple there! Elder Perry also mentioned that President Hinckley didn't like long meetings--all of their meetings were short!
Thomas S. Monson--Loves the youth. He is always asking how we can build better youth organizations. Elder Perry talked about how relaxed and easy-going he is; he stops and talks to everyone who says "hi" to him. Whenever he has spare time, he visits rest homes.
After the meeting, Elder Perry stayed and shook hands I think with everyone in the whole stake! He was so friendly. He was cute with Violet too. I told him that my Grandpa was Elder H. Verlan Andersen, and he said, "Oh really? I could tell you some good stories about that family! There was this one time I stayed at their home...but I'll have to tell you that some other time!" (Riiight...next time I talk to you ;).)
Anyway, I was just so uplifted by his talk and it made me really excited for General Conference this coming weekend.
Elise.. you must have a photographic memory. I am impressed that you remembered all of that. I am glad that you guys are safe and sound...and happy
ReplyDelete