Friday, April 18, 2008

A Serious Bug

This is the time when I am going to ask, "Why are so many people color blind?" Just kidding. But we just got back from eating at Los Hermanos (which is just so amazing I stuff myself everytime), and I have an issue I would like to address.

As we were being shown to our table, the hostess said, "Should I get a chair for him?" gesturing to Violet. Grrr. Open your eyes, lady! Violet had a pink shirt, pink pants, purple socks, and was even holding a blanket with pink flowers on it. Would I really do that to my son? Not that I am totally for the social stigma that says baby girls should always wear pink, but seriously, if a baby is dressed in pink then it is natural to assume that the baby is, indeed, a girl.

If a baby is dressed in yellow, there are PLENTY of ways to discover the gender without trying to guess at something that may not be very obvious. How about try the cute little baby voice which asks, "Who's this?" to the baby, and then generates a reply from the parents which will give you the baby's name. That method is my favorite, because it doesn't suggest any gender confusion whatsoever, as opposed to other methods: "Should I get a chair for, um...it?" Ha.

While I'm on the topic of things that bug me, let me just say this: if you are one of those people who still puts two spaces between all your sentences, that rule was out over ten years ago. Basically you are living in the age of the typewriter.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day I was in the distribution center with Dallin when an old man said, "How many teeth does she have?" I naturally didn't think he was talking to me. There were plenty of people around. Anyway, he approached me, got my attention, and asked again how many teeth my cute little girl had. I told him six. I didn't want to confuse the poor man. He proceeded to hand me a package of disney princess fruit snacks and said he'd just been waiting for a little girl to come in that would appreciate them. My little brother was jealous, but the man said he didn't have any little boy treats. So we shared Dallin's girl treat with him. People are so silly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elise! I love your blog... so glad you found me so I could get the update on your life. Your little girl is adorable! I promise not to ever mistake her for a boy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I 100% agree with both complaints. Alas, Andrew is still a 2-spacer man, and despite my several hundred attempts at correcting him, he refuses to change. Eva ALWAYS got called a boy--still does, sometimes. So I'm wondering--when I have a baby boy, will he get called a girl? I'll find out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hope to never leave the age of the typewriter. ten years ago was when i was in school. i will always put two spaces after a period. that is the correct rule. i will never change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elise, I wanted to tell you that I enjoy checking your blog from time to time-- you have a cute family! Also, I wanted to tease you a little and let you know that the new voice recognition system that Jared uses at the hospital to do dictations puts 2 spaces between sentences. :) I totally agree that an absurdly high percentage of people have a gender-assumption deficiency when it comes to babies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephen--Good thing blogger corrects it for you :).

    Jennis--Hi! It has been what, 8 years or something since I've seen you? What's with that? Tell Jared that they must need more editors in the medical field... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elise.
    I miss you! I love looking at your blog--it makes me feel like I almost know your baby, Violet. She is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete