Friday, November 9, 2007

Well, I'm not the best at keeping this thing updated, but I'll try to catch up on all that has happened the last three weeks. On Halloween, Violet had her first babysitter! That's right--she was away from both her mummy and daddy for a whole hour. Dan's mom came and watched her at our house so Dan and I could go on a date out to eat. Violet was good for her grandma, and we knew she was in great hands so we didn't worry too much, but it did feel odd to be without her!

Also on Halloween, our ward had a trunk-or-treat, and while Violet and I stayed home out of the cold, Dan had a great time scaring the kids who came to our trunk. He had stuffed some pants and boots to look like a dead person lying there in the trunk, and used some streamers to make a barrier curtain from which the legs stuck out. When the trick-or-treaters would come around he'd use stuffed gloves on the end of broomsticks to thrust out and scare the living daylights out of the poor kids ;).

This past Monday I started teaching piano lessons again at my parent's house. I just have three students who come there. My sisters are more than anxious to hold Violet while I'm busy :). Actually, something quite horrifying for me happened on Monday. I was on the phone with my sister while I was holding Violet--who was not at ALL happy. She was fussing quite a bit and pulling on my hair. I'm not quite sure how it happened, but I think she grabbed the phone cord and pulled, because it fell right on top of her face :(. Of course she began screaming, and I just let the phone fall to the floor so I could try and comfort her. I felt like such an awful mother! Luckily our phone is a cheap plastic thing that probably only weighs a pound or less, but it was pretty traumatizing none the less.

Tuesday we went and voted, but unfortunately Referendum 1 didn't pass. That night Violet's umbilical cord fell off--finally! She was three weeks and one day, so it was high time. I had been a little worried about it because everyone I talked to said that they fell off either in the first or the second week, but it wasn't infected or anything, so it was fine. I was almost sad when it fell off, actually, because now she's not a newborn! She is growing so fast already!

Well, Dan is still in the process of applying for law school, but his goal is to get everything submitted to LSAC before Thanksgiving. Hopefully we'll soon know where we are going to be for the next three years of our lives! Thankfully, because of his great LSAT score, he's gotten quite a few fee waivers to some great schools--Duke, Chicago, Georgetown, Columbia, Virginia, and UCLA. That means he won't be spending hundreds of dollars applying! Hurrah! Anyway, that's all for now. This last picture is pretty funny--Violet is asleep with her arms up in the air :).

2 comments:

  1. Lise! Your baby is so beautiful! And don't think you're a bad mom because the phone fell on her face. Eva actually fell out of the shopping cart and her seat fell flat upside down on the floor of Walmart. Talk about feeling like a bad mom! Miraculously, she was fine. Luckily, babies aren't as fragile as they look. :) Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how sad about the phone incident! I'm glad her pretty little face survived! I haven't yet dropped Jace but he always seems to find where the butcher knives are and I always find him running around with one in each hand. Yes, it is quite terrifying! Just wait-- things get PRETTY crazy once they learn to crawl! I can tell Violet is going to be quite the handful-- watch out and enjoy her while she is pretty much a vegetable!

    ReplyDelete